The St. Joe's English Department encourages students to be active readers, effective communicators and critical thinkers. Through study of literature in a broad spectrum of styles and genres, students discover humanity in themselves and throughout the world. Through practice of composition, students express their thoughts and opinions with clarity.
Our courses challenge students to see beyond the superficial, and to both question and understand the power of word and thought.
Courses offered: (See the course catalog for class descriptions.)
- Freshman Level
- Introduction to Literary Form (Honors also offered)
- Sophomore Level
- Major British Writers (Honors also offered)
- Junior Level
- Major American Writers (Honors also offered)
- Senior Level: choose from electives and/or AP English.
- AP English
- Electives (1/2 credit each)
- Futuristic Warnings in Science Fiction Literature
- Finding Justice: The Literature of Law
- A Solider's Story: American War Literature
- Beatles with Books
- The City and Rebellion
- Modern Odyssey: Myth and Faith
- A World in Crisis
- 21st Century Bard: Shakespeare in Words and Film
- Business Literature
Additional courses offered that fulfill general elective credit requirements for seniors:
- Public Speaking